Tomorrow’s Village Voice has a lengthy defense of Sarah “Ultragrrrl” Lewitinn, the “top banana” of Island Records subsidiary Stolen Transmission and girl-about-town who, depending on who you ask, is either a brilliant predictor of musical talent or the beneficiary of some dumb luck whose real skill lies in promoting her brand. (To those people, she says, “I don’t need to have talent. I got this far without it.”) After the click-through, we break down the piece’s major points.
· She’s a kosher vegetarian, but she isn’t afraid to eat fried food at T.G.I. Friday’s now and then.
· Her eyeliner is always smeared, and it’s not an affectation.
· The reporter, Tricia Romano, repeatedly quotes from Idolator’s comments section, but never approached either of the site’s editors for a quote. Nor does she mention that we plugged the Oohlas.
· She’s not a trust-fund baby, but she did start interning at ABC News at 16.
· She doesn’t understand why she was ever given an editorial job, either. (“I never was a rock critic. I was a rock fan that had a pen,” she tells Romano.)
· If you mention Stolen Transmission’s soft sales totals, the word “incubator” will be thrown back at you faster than you can say “Louis XIV.”
· Her nickname is “Buckets” because of an unidentified incident involving a DJ night and a lot of alcohol.
· She thinks she’s psychic. (Tell that to Stellastarr*.)
· She didn’t get any money from My Chemical Romance. But they’re super guys!
· Marc Spitz, who profiled Lewitinn for Vanity Fair, is still a fan. (A quote: “She’s the most gifted, natural, organic listening machine that probably ever existed. She’s just scary good at what she does. I’m sort of in awe of her.”)
· One of her brothers maintains her Wikipedia entry for her.
· She’s working on a movie script based loosely upon her life.
· She doesn’t care what mean anonymous people write about her on the Internet, because they’re just jealous, anyway.
In Defense of Ultragrrrl [Village Voice]
P.S. Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, we should also point out that the story notes that Ultra is currenty writing a book about karaoke, as is one of your Idolators.