Bonnaroo Tries To Make Lineup Announcement Seem More Exciting Through The Power Of Slightly Infuriating Riddles
Bonnaroo–the Manchester, Tenn.-based music festival where those people who describe their tastes as “indie” and those people who really like jam bands come together in a way that hasn’t been seen since their freshman-year Psych 101 lectures–is announcing its lineup this week, and to get people excited/remind them to keep checking the official site for updates, the organizers have posted eleven “riddles” that are clues as to who’s playing the fest. (A trick sorta ripped off from The Bamboozle, just saying.) I’m an old-school Games Magazine subscriber who loves twisty word games, but these so-called clues proved too much for my Petty-and-chili-addled brain to process. Perhaps you would like to give them a try? They’re after the jump.
1. “There is more than one Manchester”
2. “Memphis isn’t Albany”
3. “Clouds taste this way”
4. “Some Herrings are red, Jimmy”
5. “Hard Substance, Soft Substance”
6. “Janis Joplin’s reserves will be preserved”
7. “Rumors are just rumors, but twist them sideways, grow your humor hair and they become a more yen reality. No, this is not about Fleetwood Mac”
8. “It’s not sour, what is sowed in the earth”
9. “Three certain birds, add one”
10. “Look to the center of Europe to get the sound, but the band comes form all around.”
11. “Here is another clue for you message board people. Open up the church and you will see the steeple. Some of your guesses have been way off but correct for the wrong clues. Now I must cough.”
Oh my God, what music blogger wrote that last one? Anyway, feel free to post your guesses in comments. I’m guessing that No. 1 is a reference to Morrissey and No. 4 means that one day will be punctuated by a live-action revival of Clue: The Movie, but if No. 6 winds up being about Joss Stone I’m going to flip out.