Rihanna: A Career In Advertising
How to become a star, the Rihanna way!
1. Introduce yourself to the world by teaming with MySpace and Secret for a tour of malls. It’s all about the children.
2. Do you have something novel in your past? If you’re from Barbados, like Rihanna, try turning it into a shtick by doing ads promoting tourism for the country. It makes them look glamorous and gets you on the TV!
3. You don’t want to become a novelty artist, though, so it’d probably a good idea to generalize yourself as an R & B star as soon as possible. Nike can help!
4. You’ve made some jams, so the next step would be the broaden your fan base and get more glamorous. You’re not some kid in sneakers anymore–you’re a Cover Girl.
5. Throw in deals with Nokia, Totes (they sell umbrellas, don’t they?), JCPenney, Fuze and whoever else feels right at the correct points in your career. But remember, it’s not about the money.
“We said no to so many deals,” says Marc Jordan, one of her managers. “Either the fit wasn’t right — it was more about a check than extending Rihanna’s brand — or there was a disconnect between the brand and Rihanna.”
See, it’s all about the music. Sorry, extending your brand.