Last night’s American Idol ran so far overtime, thanks to more silly playfighting between the judges during their critiques and the producers inexplicably deciding that the viewing public needed to see lots of video of Matt Giraud portraying an angel when he was a kid. So in honor of the judges’ inability to keep it short, I’m limiting my judgments of this week’s performances to eight words. The rundown after the jump!
1. Anoop Desai: “True Colors.” Absolutely lovely; I might actually buy this version.
2. Matt Giraud: “Part Time Lover.” His performance had a strangely Winehouseian quality, no?
3. Adam Lambert: “Mad World.” Talk about playing (somewhat pitchily) to your fanbase!
4. Allison Iraheta: “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” Strong, assured vocal. Points docked for smiling, though.
5. Kris Allen: “All She Wants To Do Is Dance.” If you lose, sing “Don Henley Must Die.”*
6. Scott MacIntyre: “The Search Is Over.” Dude: You seem nice, but Survivor ain’t “punk.”
7. Lil Rounds: “What’s Love Got To Do With It.” Utterly boring, but her niche will save her.
8. Danny Gokey: “Stand By Me.” Brought to mind images of pina coladas, rain.
American Idol [Official site]
* DialIdol has Kris in the cellar. Crazy, no?