We don’t have high hopes for Sex And The City 2 (Carrie runs into Aiden in Abu Dhabi? Seriously, Michael Patrick King?), but we’re willing to give the soundtrack the benefit of the doubt. Listen to a sneak peek of the glam-and-glitzy flick’s soundtrack below, featuring Alicia Keys doing Blondie, Jennifer Hudson and Leona Lewis balladeering, and Dido finally seeing the light of day again.
Alicia Keys – “Rapture”
Opening credits montage of how fabulous the girls have been the last few years, anyone? We’re betting on it (especially since it’s the first song listed on the soundtrack). It’s very clever to incorporate the Sex And The City theme into this Blondie classic, much like they did with Fergie’s “Labels and Love” on the last soundtrack, but we think the merge works much better in this funky, fresh version that Alicia Keys nails.
Dido – “Everything To Lose”
Dido! Where you been, girl? This song is glorious and we can’t believe it’s on the soundtrack to a romantic comedy, it’s just that good. (Or maybe we’re still bitter from the overwhelming amount of generic dreck we found on the Valentine’s Day soundtrack.) We can already hear this longing, electro-tinged song appearing during the inevitable scene where Carrie and Big break-up before even more predictably getting back together.
Jennifer Hudson and Leona Lewis – “Love Is Your Color”
We’re going to call this ballad as the ending credits song, over images of all four gals happy in their respective marriages/single lives. If we’re being honest, this song is kind of a bore, and it sounds like a lesser version of Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors.” Remember J-Hud’s “All Dressed Up In Love” from the first soundtrack? That fun track really showcased just how powerful her vocals are, whereas here we think it’s just too pulled back. We know both women are capable of amazing things with their voices, so if you have both Jennifer and Leona on a track, you let them loose. It all feels too slow and restrained with this forgettable song.
Despite Jennifer and Leona’s duet disappointing us, we have a feeling this will be a more sizzling summer soundtrack than the AC/DC-only Iron Man 2 album.
Here’s the full Sex And The City 2 soundtrack listing. Pick it up May 25!
1. Alicia Keys – “Rapture”
2. Dido – “Everything to Lose”
3. Cee-Lo – “Language of Love”
4. Erykah Badu – “Window Seat”
5. Natacha Atlas – “Kidda”
6. Michael McGregor – “Euphrates Dream”
7. Liza Minnelli – “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)”
8. Ricki-Lee – “Can’t Touch It”
9. Alicia Keys – “Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down”
10. Jennifer Hudson and Leona Lewis – “Love Is Your Color”
11. Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon – “I Am Woman”
12. Sex and the City Men’s Choir – “If Ever I Would Leave You”
13. Sex and the City Men’s Choir – “Sunrise, Sunset”
14. Sex and the City Men’s Choir – “Till There Was You”
15. Shayna Steele, Jordan Ballard, Kamilah Marshall – “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered”
16. Liza Minnelli with Billy Stritch – “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye”
17. Aaron Zigman – “Divas and Dunes”