The 7 Classiest Quotes From Dr. Luke’s ‘New York’ Magazine Interview
In-house Saturday Night Live guitarist-turned-big-bucks-pop-producer Dr. Luke has crafted some of radio’s biggest blockbusters—from Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” to Britney Spears’ “Circus” and Flo Rida’s “Right Round.” So it makes perfect sense, then, that New York would profile the sought-after knob twiddler—whose currently vying for the song of summer 2010, the mag contends, with Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” and Ke$ha’s “Your Love Is My Drug”—in a piece titled “The Hit Whisperer.” Naturally, we decided to pluck out Luke’s classiest quotes from the interview, which you can read below.
THE 7 CLASSIEST QUOTES FROM DR. LUKE’S NEW YORK INTERVIEW:
* “Three months from now, my sound could be over. My one hope is that, if my shit ain’t working, I’m not going to try to keep doing it.”
* On once asking Avril Lavigne to pepper-spray him—you know, for the hell of it: “It’s actually not as bad as you’d think. Getting tased is a little different.”
* On hearing his songs playing on various radio stations at the same time: “It makes me feel like what I’m doing isn’t meaningless.”
* “I often think about secretly producing under a different name. Just to see how it’s perceived.”
* On giving Taio Cruz the song “Dynamite”: “When I gave it to Taio, I told him, ‘Listen. This song is not yours. You have to earn it.’ Because I felt from the beginning that this was going to be big.”
* On convincing Flo Rida to record “Right Round” instead of a track by another producer: “I was like, ‘Dude, I am not telling you this because I’m going to get paid. I’m telling this for you. Mine is a better version of the song.”
* “You can make depressing music, that’s cool, and maybe I’ll want to do that sometime. But for now, I want fun stuff.”
Fun stuff, as in a California pop tart shooting whipped cream out of her bra to the beat of a thumping, sticky sweet pop-dance track? Sounds like just what the Dr. Luke ordered!