How Many Madonna References Can You Count In Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” Video?
We count ten! Jump below to see just how Lady Gaga reminded us of Madonna in her new video for “Born This Way”, through references both subtle, obvious and probably unintentional.
1. The song itself reminds us of Madonna’s 1989 single “Express Yourself”, while the middle interlude evokes “Vogue”. We’ve discussed this already here.
2. The gap tooth at the end is clearly a reference to Madge’s famous space between her front two teeth, no?
3. Similar posing in see-through clothing!
4. They both certainly look good in a two-piece.
5. Something other than a normal baby comes out of both Madonna (in the similarly trippy “Bedtime Story” video) and Gaga’s wombs.
6. Madonna does the crotch-grabbing shtick while wearing a man’s suit in the video for “Express Yourself”.
7. Gaga’s high ponytail looks mightily familiar to the one Madonna sported on her Blond Ambition tour in the early 90s.
9. Both Madonna (in “Vogue”) and Gaga share space next to a male model/dancer while photographed in muted colors.
10. Chin eye. Though Madonna’s (in “Bedtime Story”) is much more disturbing.
So, how many of these are reaching? And how many are legitimate references to our founding mother of modern day pop? And did we miss any? Share/debate in the comments!