Calvin Harris: The 5 Best Songs By Rihanna’s “We Found Love” Pal
Yesterday, Rihanna and Calvin Harris’ collaborative “We Found Love” single premiered, setting off a frenzied flutter of buzz for the first offering from RiRi’s sixth studio album (out November 21). But while Harris’ two albums — I Created Disco (2007) and Ready For The Weekend (2009) — were distributed in the States and he’s often hit up these shores for club gigs, the Scottish DJ/producer/pop star, who has racked up seven Top 10 hits in his home country of the UK, has remained pretty much an unknown entity in the US. Get to know him a little better below. Given that “We Found Love” is now lodged at #3 on iTunes only one day after its release, we figured there was no better time to round up the electro-pop whiz’s five best jams, pre-Rihanna.
1. Calvin Harris, “Flashback” (2009) The third single off his second album Ready For The Weekend, “Flashback” proved what we knew all along — dance music, like Calvin, has heart, and can evoke true emotions.
2. Kylie Minogue, “In My Arms” (2007) Before Harris even released his first album, he was plucked from MySpace obscurity by Kylie and her team to work on tracks for Minogue’s 2007 LP X. This co-production with Richard Stannard was either the second or third single off the album, depending on which country you live in, and it hinted at the things to come from the Scottish musician.
3. Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris & Chrome, “Dance Wiv Me” (2008) Calvin produced, co-wrote and crooned the chorus on this infectious club offering from Brit Award-winning London rapper Dizzee Rascal. It became the first UK #1 single for all three artists involved. Go ahead — try not to shake your butt.
4. Calvin Harris, “Ready For The Weekend” (2009) The self-titled second single from Ready For The Weekend is a total guilty pleasure throwback to ’90s Eurodance tunes by the likes of Real McCoy and Snap!, courtesy of uplifting vocals by Mary Pearce and frantic house piano chords on the chorus.
5. Calvin Harris, “Disco Heat” (2007) Though not released as a single off I Created Disco, this track is a clear standout on Harris’ debut LP. Scottish bedroom DJ meets French house on this Daft Punk-esque jam.
Do you have a favorite Calvin Harris song that we missed? Let us know below.