Britney Spears’ “Criminal” Video Director Tells All
Since its premiere earlier this week, we’ve watched Britney Spears’ “Criminal” video about as many times as Jason Trawick has abs — a lot. But there’s still plenty we learned about the Bonnie and Clyde-inspired clip from listening to the video’s director Chris Marrs Piliero speak to MTV. Jump below to watch him discuss the making of “Criminal” frame-by-frame, and the Top 5 things we discovered about Brit’s naughty (in more ways than one) video.
1. His direction for Brit’s turnaround moment in the beginning? Jennifer Love Hewitt entering the party in Can’t Hardly Wait.
2. Britney’s English douchebag boyfriend is named Freddy, and it’s his first acting role.
3. Brit’s insult “So, you’re not working the street corner tonight, I see” had “attitude” but was “TV safe”.
4. The cinematographer, director and the art director and production designer are pictured on the front page of the fake newspaper The Daily Recorder.
5. There’s a hidden Easter egg credit at the very end: “No vanilla candles were harmed in the making of this video.” Whew!