The Idolator Hype Index (Week Of 1.8.12)
It’s time to get in the habit of waking up on Friday morning, rubbing your bleary eyes and checking out our weekly Pop & Fizz chart, where we rank the top artists and headlines in pop music. This is the second week for the chart, so here’s a reminder on how it works: we rank each artist or major news story according to their size (that’s Rank) and then we weigh how they’re faring overall in the pop zeitgeist (that’s Hype). That’s why, for example, Justin Bieber — whose photos in V caused a retaliation by fans — ranks above relatively unknown (in the States) UK boy band The Wanted, who had an enviable intro to American audiences via Ellen DeGeneres.
Here’s our second Pop & Fizz Top 10 of the year:
To see just how these artists entered the hype index, check below.
- Blue Ivy Carter Is Now The Youngest Person To Appear On The Billboard Charts
- Coachella 2012: Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Florence + The Machine To Play
- Justin Bieber Is Crowned King Of V Magazine
- Lana Del Rey EP Hits iTunes: Listen To All Four Tracks
- Christina Aguilera Voices Up About Her Weight In Marie Claire
- Madonna Is Beautiful In Blue For Her W.E. Photocall
- People’s Choice Awards 2012: The Winners
- Snoop Dogg Arrested For Marijuana Possession
- The Wanted Make Their US Debut On Ellen With “Glad You Came”