Whitney Houston Final Coroner’s Report: Cocaine, Alcohol & Heart Disease
It was already revealed that Whitney Houston’s cause of death was due to accidental drowning caused by heart disease and cocaine use, but the coroner’s final report includes further details about what happened that night, as well as the state Houston was in at the time of her death. The Beverly Hills Police Department has determined that Houston “possibly overdosed on a narcotic substance, prescription medications, over the counter medications and alcohol.” More details below.
The report reveals that Houston, who was alone in the bathtub in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on February 11, was found face down in “extremely hot water”, and that there was a burn on her back. Investigators discovered a small white spoon with a “white crystal like substance” and a “white powdery substance” on it. A nearby mirror had the same substance on its surface.
It was noted that a “bloody purge” was coming out of Houston’s nose. She also had minor abrasions on her face, arms and legs, and a possible needle puncture wound on her inner left elbow.
In the hotel bedroom, investigators found an open bottle of champagne and a dozen prescription bottles, three of them empty.
The medical examiners who performed the autopsy believe that although Houston died of drowning, it was “due to, or as a consequence of the effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use.” The toxicology report turned up cocaine, Benadril, the muscle relaxer Flexeril, marijuana, Xanax, cocaethylene (produced when cocaine mixes with alcohol) and benzoylecgonin (a primary metabolite of cocaine).
The coroners also detected mild emphysema, pulmonary edema and leiomyomas (benign tumors) in her uterus.
Read the full coroner’s report at E! Online.