PSY’s Reddit AMA: “Gangnam Style” Is Not A Social Critique & 12 Other Revelations
South Korean superstar PSY spent an hour on Reddit for an Ask Me Anything session this afternoon (October 24). The “Gangnam Style” sensation kicked things off thusly: “I am South Korean Singer, Rapper, Composer, Dancer and Creator of Gangnam Style PSY….i will try to answer as many questions as possible and then i have to go to studio to finish my new record.”
At the scheduled start time, the AMA thread had already amassed over 6,000 comments. We sifted through all of the rapper’s responses and below we’ve compiled the 13 biggest revelations from the mind of PSY.
1. PSY is short for “Psycho,” though he didn’t explain the all-caps stylization.
2. The celeb PSY most wants to meet is Tom Cruise.
3. His tour is “coming soon” to the US.
4. PSY’s favorite scene in the “Gangnam Style” video is when he’s in the elevator as a man does pelvic thrusts over his head, which was improvised.
5. His inspiration is Freddie Mercury. So when’s the Adam Lambert collabo coming?
6. He was asked, “Did you just sit down and say to yourself, ‘I’m going to make the catchiest fucking song of all time’?” His answer: “i thought so but only for korea.”
7. When asked about his time at Berklee College of Music: “unfortunately i didn’t attend class that much. sorry! when i was in college i was young and stupid so i thought i cannot learn creative things from other people like professors. i taught myself. but nowadays sometimes i regret but things worked out ok.”
8. He may be a pop mastermind, but other than the drums, the only instrument he can play is the pop-averse clarinet.
9. PSY never gets bored of the “Gangnam” dance, because of the “Gangnam” dance: “there’s no time to be bored. i’m so busy doing the horse dance…”
10. He quashed all those claims that the song is some sort of social critique: “GS is not a critique, just FUN!”
11. His favorite “Gangnam Style” parody/copy is the one by the Ohio University marching band.
12. PSY’s favorite thing to eat for breakfast is “Korean food.” Makes sense.
13. When asked, “Can I come and hang out with you in Seoul?” PSY responded with: “call me maybe”. And then the internet exploded.