Idolator Halloween: How To Dress Like Lady Gaga’s Modern ‘Birth Of Venus’
Pop stars and outrageous outfits go hand in hand, which makes it easy as pumpkin pie to dress up as one for Halloween. Having trouble deciding which artist to choose from? We’re here to help you pick from the most iconic looks from 2013, and to show you fun ways to recreate them.
After premiering the outfit in her “Applause” music video and wearing it for her performance at the 2013 MTV VMAs (and throughout the entire show), Lady Gaga’s Birth of Venus-inspired get-up has quickly become one of her (many) signature looks. See how you can replicate it in our costume tutorial below!
What You’ll Need:
- Mother Monster is all about capital-A Art this era, with Sandro Botticelli’s famous The Birth Of Venus painting being her leading inspiration. The best thing about this outfit is that there’s nothing to it (you’re literally wearing just a bra and thong), making it easier for you to put your hands up and make ‘em touch. Get the look with this Little Mermaid-inspired seashell bra for $5.
- To achieve the flowery thong look, take a white thong from your underwear drawer and decorate it with fake flowers and shells using fabric glue from your nearest craft store. Try these from Michael’s for about $2.
- If you want to go the VMA route, streak your cheekbones with brightly colored paint. Use these face paints from Party City for $4 and get creative!
- The most memorable part of Lady Gaga’s sea goddess outfit is her lush, glorious, drag queen-approved curly blonde wig that was obviously combed by Poseidon’s trident. Try out this wig for $18 to achieve the bombshell (no pun intended) look.
- Lastly, throw on a pair of sandals or sneakers (Lady Gaga didn’t wear any shoes in the music video — but we don’t recommend walking city streets barefoot) and get ready to live for everyone’s applause (and/or stares) when you step out with this sexy costume!