Shawn Mendes Becomes Youngest Artist To Top Album Chart In Half A Decade
Stevie Wonder, Debbie Gibson, Britney Spears, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are all artists who’ve had an album top the Billboard 200 during their teenage years, and now 16-year-old Shawn Mendes can add his name to that list of adolescent idols.
This week Mendes graduates from Vine sensation to hit-maker, as his debut LP Handwritten debuts at #1 on the strength of 106,000 copies sold. Billboard points out that Shawn is the youngest artist to land a chart-topping album since May 2010, when fellow Canadian Justin Bieber’s My World 2.0 was the reigning LP.
Ah, My World 2.0 — that was when Justin himself was 16, during his “Baby” heyday.
God, please don’t turn out to be like Bieber, Shawn. That would truly suck.
The Top 10 of the Billboard 200:
1. Shawn Mendes, Handwritten *new* *1 week*
2. Soundtrack, Furious 7
3. Reba McEntire, Love Somebody *new*
4. Tyler, The Creator, Cherry Bomb *new*
5. Halestorm, Into The Wildlife *new*
6. Soundtrack, Fifty Shades Of Grey
7. Taylor Swift, 1989
8. Sam Smith, In The Lonely Hour
9. Ed Sheeran, x
10. Drake, If You’re Reading This It’s Too late
Get an eyeful of even more pop music coverage, from artist interviews to exclusive performances, on Idolator’s YouTube channel.