Iconic Record Labels That Have Changed The Sound Of Music

Sara | July 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Bands bring the talent, but without the right management and record label, they often don’t get very far. Labels handle everything, from setting up distribution to calming down the chaos and even developing the current sounds we hear on the radio.

Over the years, some labels have become more prolific than others. Join us as we take a look at the most successful and influential record labels of all time. From scandals to press releases, the music giants have covered a lot of ground between them.

Hut Launched Some Impressive Careers

Placebo
Photo by Roberto Finizio/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Photo by Roberto Finizio/NurPhoto via Getty Images

You might not have heard of this one, as Hut was only around for 14 years. That’s a hot minute in the music industry. The British label was a subsidiary of Virgin Records. Ran by Dave Boyd, Hut focused on indie bands with a lot of attitude and it largely paid off.

Smashing Pumpkins, Verve, Marianne Faithfull and Placebo were among dozens of artists that called Hut home at one point. When the label was discontinued in 2004 due to a shake-up at Virgin, 20% of the artists were dropped, while the other 80% were moved to different labels owned by EMI.