Things Just Aren’t Getting Better For DMX
DMX, who’s currently in the midst of a 90-day stay at an Arizona prison after pleading out on theft, animal cruelty, and drug possession charges, is now facing aggravated assault charges after allegedly throwing a tray of food at a corrections officer who reprimanded him for taking food that wasn’t his. DMX (real name Earl Simmons) was already in hot water at the jail for not reporting for a work assignment and not responding to a call for medications earlier this month; he’d been placed in lockdown and on a Nutraloaf-and-water diet for violating those rules. The Republic has helpfully provided a timeline of X’s legal troubles since August 2007, when his house was raided by police, who found malnourished dogs, drugs, and weapons:
• The rapper was cited in May for going 114 mph on the Loop 101.
• In late June, Simmons was arrested in Miami on suspicion of attempting to purchase cocaine and marijuana from an undercover officer.
• In July, he was accused of theft of services and identity theft for trying to avoid paying $7,500 in medical bills from Scottsdale’s Mayo Clinic in April.
• Also in July, Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Simmons at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court.
• In August, Simmons was arrested in Miami for failing to attend a Phoenix court hearing. He was extradited to Phoenix in September and paid a $25,000 bond for his release.
• In December, FBI agents arrested Simmons at the Florida mansion of music producer Scott Storch on a warrant out of Phoenix after the rapper again failed to appear in court.
According to MTV, DMX may have added eight years to his time in prison.