Chart-Topping Songs Of 2013: We Review Each #1 Single…In One Word
As the year winds to a close, we find ourselves compelled to pause and once again look back over the songs that topped the Billboard Hot 100 during the past 12 months. There were a total of 11 singles that hit #1 in 2013, and they ranged from holdovers from 2012, viral video sensations, artists reaching the top for the first time and acts who self-released their material. Also noteworthy: four of the five Grammy-nominated tracks in the Song Of The Year category are comprised of chart-topping singles.
And so, as in year’s past, we gathered up the Idolator crew and asked them to each make a snap judgement on the biggest pop songs from 2013. Admittedly, one or two of these had us scratching our heads in hindsight, wondering how the hell they even made it that big. But make it they did, and below you’ll find our final say on each.
See Idolator’s two cents below, then let us know your own thoughts on this year’s #1 singles!
1. BRUNO MARS, “Locked Out Of Heaven” (6 weeks at #1 total — 2 in 2012 and 4 in 2013)
2. MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS feat. WANZ, “Thrift Shop” (6 weeks)
3. Baauer, “Harlem Shake” (5 weeks)
4. Bruno Mars, “When I Was Your Man” (1 week)
5. Pink feat. Nate Ruess, “Just Give Me A Reason” (3 weeks)
6.. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton, “Can’t Hold Us” (5 weeks)
7. Robin Thicke feat. T.I. & Pharrell, “Blurred Lines” (12 weeks)
8. Katy Perry, “Roar” (2 weeks)
9. Miley Cyrus, “Wrecking Ball” (3 weeks)
10. Lorde, “Royals” (9 weeks)
11. Eminem feat. Rihanna, “The Monster” (2 weeks)
Get an eyeful of even more pop music coverage, from artist interviews to exclusive performances, on Idolator’s YouTube channel.