Shayne Ward Tells Us His 5 Favorite Stock Aitken Waterman Songs (While Wearing A Vintage Kylie Tee)
When news came last year that former UK X Factor winner Shayne Ward was working with producer Mike Stock on his upcoming album, Closer (out April 13), we thought, how lucky, lucky, lucky can we get? After all, Stock, as one third of Stock Aitken Waterman, crafted hit after giddy pop hit for the likes of Kylie Minogue, Bananarama, Rick Astley, Donna Summer and Dead Or Alive back in the legendary production trio’s 1980s and early ’90s heyday, and a smooth, soulful voice like Shayne’s shines best when in the hands of quality producers (see: Ward’s brilliant 2007 album Breathless).
So far things are sounding as good as we’d hoped for with Closer (listen to clips of each album track here). But let’s pause on the new music for a moment, and ask: What does Shayne think about his current producer’s past hits? Lucky (lucky, lucky…okay, we’ll stop) for us, the handsome tenor decided to answer that question in his own words — and he even threw on a vintage Kylie t-shirt while doing so!
Head below to see Shayne Ward’s roundup of his five favorite songs produced by Mike Stock during his SAW period.
1. Rick Astley, “Never Gonna Give You Up”Released: 1987Produced by: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken & Pete Waterman
Shayne says: “I love this song. Rick Astley’s voice was so soulful. And teaming up with SAW was a match made in pop music heaven. There’s no doubt about it — the minute this track comes on the radio, it’s hard to stay still. I’m always dancing to it. My uncle Patrick is a great soul singer and he has performed this song in his set so many times.”
2. Dead Or Alive, “You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)”Released: 1985Produced by: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken & Pete Waterman
Shayne says: “Now, I love the ’80s and I love this song. I remember hearing it when I was a kid, but I took more notice of it when it featured in the film The Wedding Singer with Adam Sandler. Since then it’s one of my ’80s favourites!”
3. West End featuring Sybil, “The Love I Lost”Released: 1993Produced by: Mike Stock & Pete Waterman
Shayne says: “I remember the original by Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes, and I’m always listening to it. But when I heard this new version as a kid growing up in a pub, I would always have it on repeat on the jukebox.”
4. Sybil, “When I’m Good And Ready”Released: 1993Produced by: Mike Stock & Pete WatermanShayne says: “Again from Sybil… They were great days growing up in the ’90s, listening to this on the radio. Reminds me of my youth club days.”
5. Jason Donovan, “Sealed With A Kiss”Released: 1989Produced by: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken & Pete Waterman
Shayne says: “I had the pleasure of working with Jason recently on Jeff Wayne’s The War of the Worlds. He is a legend, and one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I loved this song and haven’t heard it in years. I think I might have a listen.”
What are you own favorite songs from the SAW hit factory? Let us know below!