Blake Shelton Says He Doesn’t “Know Who The Hell Janelle” Monae Is On ‘The Voice’: Watch
Now, folks, let’s run down a few things here:
1. Janelle Monae has released two albums, the first of which landed in the Top 20 and the second of which in the Top 5.
2. Janelle Monae has collaborated with many, many artists, including Blake Shelton‘s fellow Voice coach Cee Lo Green twice — on Monae’s own single “Open Happiness” and Goodie Mobb‘s “Special Education.”
3. At the 2011 Grammy Awards, Blake Shelton introduced his wife Miranda Lambert‘s performance. Also a performer that night: Janelle Monae, who belted out her song “Tightrope.”
4. At those same Grammys, Monae was a two-time nominee. Blake Shelton was up for one.
5. Two years later, at the 55th Grammys, Blake Shelton was up for one award. Janelle Monae was up for three, and took home one — a big one — for Song Of The Year, for Fun.‘s “We Are Young” (which she featured on).
6. “We Are Young,” incidentally, topped the Billboard Hot 100 in 2012 for six weeks and sold nearly 7 million paid digital downloads. The song was inescapable throughout 2012.
7. Coming full circle, Nate Ruess of Fun., who sang “We Are Young” with Janelle Monae, was an advisor on the previous season of The Voice, where he worked alongside Blake Shelton.
All of this said, when Voice contestant Nadjah Nicole auditioned in the episode that aired last night by singing “Tightrope” — again, a song that Janelle Monae sang live on the same Grammys stage Blake Shelton stepped onto four years ago — Shelton stated, “Yes, I don’t know who the hell Janelle is. I turned around for Nadjah; I didn’t turn around for Janelle.”
America’s got talent, everyone. And this man is judging it.