Kesha Vs. Dr. Luke: Judge Will Not Issue Injunction To Let Singer Record Elsewhere
Kesha and her legal team suffered what seemed to be a major setback on Friday (February 19) morning when New York Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich reportedly erred on the side of not issuing the preliminary injunction Kesha had been asking for to begin recording music outside of the company owned by her alleged physical and emotional abuser, Dr. Luke, aka Lukasz Gottwald.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Kornreich said to Kesha’s attorney, Mark Geragos, “You’re asking the court to decimate a contract that was heavily negotiated and typical for the industry.” Kornreich went on to note that $60 million had been invested by Gottwald in Kesha’s her career and that he had agreed to allow her to record without his involvement. The judge stated that this detail “decimates your argument… My instinct is to do the commercially reasonable thing.”
In a lawsuit filed by the pop singer to extricate her from her contract with Gottwald in 2014, allegations were made that the producer “sexually, physically, verbally and emotionally abused” Kesha for 10 years. She is currently in a contract with Gottwald’s Kemosabe Records label, which is a Sony imprint.
Kornreich reportedly also touched on the lack of medical evidence supporting Kesha’s abuse claims. “I don’t understand why I have to take the extraordinary measure of granting an injunction,” the judge said.
The entire issue and the many allegations from both sides are very tangled and complicated. For now, this is just the beginning of what’s looking like Kesha’s uphill battle to gain her freedom from Dr. Luke.