New Details Emerge About Ariana Grande Concert Bombing In Manchester
UPDATE (5/24): Police have arrested three more unnamed people in south Manchester connected to the tragedy. British Home Secretary Amber Rudd tells The New York Times that Salman Abedi‘s deployment of his explosion was “more sophisticated than some of the attacks we’ve seen before, and it seems likely — possible — that he wasn’t doing this on his own.” These arrests are in addition to the 23-year-old taken into custody on May 22. See the original post below.
The death toll has risen and there’s been an arrest.
In the moments after a bomb erupted outside Manchester Arena at roughly 10:30 p.m. on Monday night (May 22), following Ariana Grande’s performance, multiple conflicting reports began to pour in. What once was said to be a series of explosions is now thought to have been a single explosion detonated as concertgoers exited the venue, killing 22 people and injuring 59 more. Many of the lives claimed were children.
22-year-old Salman Abedi has been identified as the perpetrator of the attack, according to The New York Times. He lived just 3.5 miles from Manchester Arena where he took his own life in the blast.
The Greater Manchester Police Department has shared that the attack has been deemed an act of terrorism and it’s possible Abedi wasn’t acting alone. Authorities confirmed on social media that an arrest has been made in response to the bombing.
With regards to last night’s incident at the Manchester arena, we can confirm we have arrested a 23-year-old man in South Manchester.
— G M Police (@gmpolice) May 23, 2017
The Islamic State is claiming credit for the incident but no verified connection has been established that ties the bomber or bombers to one of their organizations.
“I might mention that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack in Manchester although they claim responsibility for virtually every attack. We have not verified yet the connection,” Dan Coats, the Director of National Intelligence, told a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, via U.S. News, adopting an acronym for Islamic State.
As we previously reported, in light of this tragic turn of events Ariana Grande has decided to postpone her Dangerous Women World Tour. Late last night, the pint-sized pop star shared her reaction to the attack on Twitter. Stay tuned for more details on this evolving story.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
Express your thoughts below, or by hitting us up on Facebook and Twitter!