From “APESHIT” To “thank u, next,” The 30 Best Music Videos Of 2018
With only a couple of days left in 2018, it’s about time we kicked off our end of year coverage. From Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s tour of the Louvre in “APESHIT” to Ariana Grande’s rom-com referencing in “thank u, next,” it has been an unusually good year for visuals. As such, our first list is dedicated to the 30 best videos of 2018. See how they ranked below.
30. “Shame” – Elle King
Cult-leader Elle King pulls off the ultimate heist in her retro-styled video.
29. “You Make It Feel Like Christmas” – Gwen Stefani feat. Blake Shelton
Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton’s festive opus makes me wish Christmas was a year-round celebration.
28. “Not So Bad In LA” – Allie X
Allie X peels back the glamorous veil of life in the City of Angels in her dark and demented visual.
27. “Lay With Me” – Phantoms feat. Vanessa Hudgens
Vanessa Hudgens delivered the long-awaited fourth installment of High School Musical in this adorable clip.
26. “Happy Now” – Zedd feat. Elley Duhe
Zedd and Elley Duhe’s unexpected video proved revenge is best served sweet and poolside.
25. “What I Need” – Hayley Kiyoko feat. Kehlani
Hayley Kiyoko ensured that 20gayteen was alive and well by teaming up with Kehlani to deliver the queer love story of the year.
24. “1999” – Charli XCX feat. Troye Sivan
From Titanic to the Spice Girls, Charli XCX and Troye Sivan showcased the best of the ’90s in their nostalgia-inducing video.
23. “Heart To Break” – Kim Petras
Kim Petras gives us a trans princess with a heart of gold and a killer wardrobe in her most ambitious video to date.
22. “When The Party’s Over” – Billie Eilish
Billie Eilish’s eerie video leaves a lasting impression.
21. “All The Stars” – Kendrick Lamar feat. SZA
Kendrick Lamar and SZA’s Black Panther contribution was accompanied by a visually stunning love letter to Africa.
20. “Te Guste” – Jennifer Lopez feat. Bad Bunny
All eyes on our reverse-aging queen! Jennifer Lopez and Bad Bunny’s “Te Guste” video is a glorified sizzle reel of her sexiest looks.
19. “With You” – Mariah Carey
The skinniest of all legends reinvented classy black-and-white videos with this lavish effort.
18. “Taki Taki” – DJ Snake feat. Cardi B, Selena Gomez and Ozuna
Selena Gomez and a volcano. What more do you want?
17. “Head Above Water” – Avril Lavigne
Sweeping panoramic views and gorgeous underwater shots make Avril Lavigne’s comeback video suitably epic.
16. “Fall In Line” – Christina Aguilera feat. Demi Lovato
Former Disney princesses join forces to escape the shackles of child stardom in this underrated spectacle.
15. “Fake Love” – BTS
Intricate staging, incredible practical effects and jaw-dropping choreography – the K-Pop gods pulled through once again. Legends only.
14. “Bloom” -Troye Sivan
Troye Sivan obliterates gender roles and serves serious looks in this arty visual.
13. “PYNK” – Janelle Monáe
Vaginal! Janelle celebrates womanhood and girl power in the most striking way.
12. “Emotion” – Astrid S
Inspired by Black Swan, Astrid S battles her inner demons in this feast for the eyes.
11. “Sin Pijama” – Becky G feat. Natti Natasha
Stream Queen Becky G linked up with Natti Natasha to create one of the most luxurious slumber party fantasies of all time.
10. “This Is America” – Childish Gambino
Striking, timely and an absolute must-see, Donald Glover’s video tackled variety of hot-bed issues.
9. “The Walker” – Christine And The Queens
French pop star Christine And The Queens plays a defeated matador that befriends a bull in this beautifully-filmed, cinematic video.
8. “Happier” – Marshmello feat. Bastille
No love is more pure than the one shared between Miranda Cosgrove and her adorable dog. Hopefully her next collaboration with Marshmello is in the studio, however.
7. “Ashes” – Celine Dion
Nothing offered a more joyous escape from the shitstorm that was 2018 than watching Deadpool dance to a Celine Dion power ballad.
6. “Back To You” – Selena Gomez
Unexpectedly arty and absolutely unforgettable. Selena’s “Back To You” video was inspired by French directors like Jean-Luc Godard.
5. “Whack World” – Tierra Whack
Comprised of multiple one-minute vignettes, Tierra Whack’s 15-minute feast is like nothing you have ever seen before.
4. “New Light” – John Mayer
Lo-fi effects have literally never looked cooler.
3. “Nothing Breaks Like A Heart” – Miley Cyrus feat. Mark Ronson
Miley Cyrus cemented her return to music with a video steeped in anger and social commentary.
2. “thank u, next” – Ariana Grande
Nothing in 2018 was more fetch than watching Ari execute the Bend & Snap in her mega-viral video.
1. “APESHIT” – The Carters
Beyoncé and Jay-Z took things to the next level by taking over The Louvre for “APESHIT.” The end result is a work of art worthy of the iconic museum.