How to Turn Browser Notifications Off
You might have subscribed to our browser notifications, meaning that occasionally you’ll get a pop-up telling you about one of our newest stories. If you’d like to stop these, you have to change some settings in your software.
Instructions for Chrome Users
- Open Chrome
- Visit chrome://serviceworker-internals/ in a new tab (just like a normal website address)
- Press the ‘Stop‘ and ‘Unregister‘ buttons under any items that contain “https://www.idolator.com/”.
- If they won’t remove, make sure all tabs or windows on your computer with www.idolator.com are closed.
Still Getting Notifications on Chrome?
If you keep getting notifications after this, you might be accidentally resubscribing without knowing it. For that, you should check your default settings for how Chrome asks you whether you want notifications.
- Open Chrome
- Visit chrome://settings/content
- A new Settings window will appear
- Under Notifications, select one of the following:
- Allow all sites to show notifications: You’ll automatically see notifications from all websites. (Be careful, you’ll get a lot!)
- Ask when a site wants to show notifications: You’ll get an alert from Chrome whenever a site wants to show you notifications. (A pop up always shows, asking if you want to subscribe… don’t click Yes without reading!)
- Do not allow any site to show notifications: You won’t see any notifications from new websites.
For more information on Chrome notifications, read Google’s support thread.
Instructions for Safari Users
To see all of your recent notifications:
At the top right, click the 3-bar menu button and select Notifications
To stop receiving notifications from a website:
- Open Safari
- Select Preferences under the Safari menu
- Click the Notifications tab
- Find the website in the list, then select Deny for it.
To stop seeing notification permission requests in Safari:
Choose Safari > Preferences, click Notifications, then deselect “Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications.” From now on, when you visit a website that can send you notifications, Safari doesn’t ask if you want to let the website notify you.
Instructions for Firefox Users
If you are getting notifications on Firefox, you subscribed at some point. A site cannot send you these messages without your permission. To stop a specific site from sending you these messages:
- Open Firefox
- At the top right, click the 3-bar menu button, and select Options
- Select Content on the left.
- Select the Choose button under Notifications.
- Select the site.
- Click Remove Site.
To stop all sites from sending you browser notifications, follow the above steps except, instead of selecting a specific site, click Remove All Sites. Web sites will not be able to send you messages and will need to ask your permission to send them in the future.