As you may have gathered, I’m raring to close the book on 2008, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t run down some of the site’s highlights during what was a pretty dreary year overall. After the jump, behold a pretty subjective top 12 of the year (thanks to our technological limbo I can’t run any sort of numbers, but I think this list accurately captures the best moments we’ve had during a long slog of a year). And of course I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank all of you for coming back, reading, commenting, and pointing out when I get shit wrong (which is too often). If you think I got this list wrong, feel free to abuse me with compliments in the comments section!
1. Your favorite albums from each year you were alive, July 3 / your favorite singles from each year you were alive, Aug. 29. The comments on these were so much fun. Plus: Demographic studies!
2. Jess’ illustrated guide to horrorcore, Oct. 30. It didn’t make me want to listen to the Insane Clown Posse, but it was still awesome. As was Jess’ tale of just how Chinese Democracy came to be.
3. Chris Molanphy breaks down just how much the major labels loathe singles, Aug. 28. I wonder often if we’re just entering a redux of the “rockers as new Zeppelins” phase, if only because so many “good” rock bands these days are so damn self-serious.
4. Butch Walker and Patrick Stump interview each other, Dec. 16. Smart, funny, candid, and slightly juicy! Plus it’s nice to know that band geeks being cliquey and weird is a phenomenon that wasn’t restricted to my high school.
5. Sonseed: Were they for real?, Sept. 9. Our look at whether or not the “Jesus Is My Friend” viral video was legit, or just a concoction of a well-financed CollegeHumor competitor, sure fired up one former member of the band.
6. The two types of “bromance”: An investigation, Aug. 4. This clearly needs a sequel on why certain dudes act like sugar-fueled Jonas Brothers fans when confronted with music by Animal Collective.
7. TV On The Radio give copyeditors conniption fits, Oct. 2. Speaking of investigations…
8. Al wonders if any blog favorites will cross over to the world of mainstream rock radio, Aug. 29. Someone should try and drop a Fleet Foxes track into a classic rock station’s playlist and see if anyone notices!
9. Kate gets horrified by the Clique Girlz, June 5. On the bright side, their abject awfulness will sound even worse during the global economic collapse, so we’ll never have to hear of them again maybe.
10. Ten artists who should be very glad they’re not Axl Rose, June 30. Should give you the shivers.
11. Mario Paint music: A look back, Feb. 22. Finally, we bring together “Never Gonna Give You Up,” “Yakety Sax,” and adorable mushrooms!
12. Chad Kroeger’s hidden talents that should have stayed hidden, March 10. Lede of the year, for sure.