Ariana Grande’s ‘My Everything’ Tops Album Chart During Slow Sales Week
On one hand, sure, it’s super that Ariana Grande‘s sophomore LP My Everything entered the Billboard 200 at #1 this week, thus becoming her second chart-topping album in less than a year. (Her debut, Yours Truly, landed in the top spot 51 weeks ago.) But factor in My Everything‘s first week sales of 169,000 — far from the year’s top openings racked up by other albums, such as 5 Seconds Of Summer‘s self-titled debut (259,000), Eric Church‘s The Outsiders (288,000) and Coldplay‘s Ghost Stories (383,000) — and it paints the scene in a different light.
Needless to say, album sales just aren’t what they used to be. Still, since the LP’s announcement, My Everything seemed to be poised as a late-in-summer beacon of hope in a sea of slumping music biz revenue — especially given the recent success of Grande’s triumvirate of radio hits “Problem,” “Break Free” and “Bang Bang.”
Until then, check out the rest of this week’s movers and shakers on the main album chart below.
The Top 10 Of The Billboard 200 Chart:
1. Ariana Grande, My Everything *new* *1 week*
2. Brad Paisley, Moonshine In The Trunk *new*
3. Kem, Promise To Love: Album IV *new*
4. Soundtrack, Guardians Of The Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1
5. Sam Smith, In The Lonely Hour
6. Wiz Khalifa, Blacc Hollywood
7. Soundtrack, Frozen
8. Various, NOW That’s What I Call Music 51
9. 5 Seconds Of Summer, 5 Seconds Of Summer
10. Avenged Sevenfold, Walking The Fallen *re-entry*
Watch Ariana’s thigh-high boot game in action:
Get an eyeful of even more pop music coverage, from artist interviews to exclusive performances, on Idolator’s YouTube channel.