Susan Boyle Tops Album Chart, ‘Glee’ Posts Best Sales Week With “Teenage Dream”
Pope-worthy performer Susan Boyle can cue up her cover of Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day” now that the numbers are in and The Gift has become her second album to debut at #1 on the Billboard Top 200. SuBo’s first week sales for her sophomore offering were 318,000—less than half the 701,000 I Dreamed A Dream posted out of the gate last year. Still, it was enough this time around to best the five other newcomers to the Top 10.
Taylor Swift’s Speak Now gets knocked down to #2 after a two-week run at the top of the chart. After that, Kid Cudi’s sophomore set Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager enters at #3 on sales of 169,000, followed by the latest NOW compilation at #4 (89,000), Bon Jovi’s Greatest Hits at #5 (88,0000), Reba McEntire’s All The Women That I Am at #7 (64,000) and Cee Lo Green’s The Lady Killer at #8 (41,000).
Elsewhere, the a cappella rendition of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” that new Glee cast member Darren Criss performed on last week’s “Never Been Kiss” episode appears to have struck a chord with viewers. Billboard notes that the song sold 214,000 downloads—easily the best of the week, and the highest one-week sales figure yet for a Glee single.
Take that, Lea Michele. And expect Criss to be getting bumped up the list of the show’s solo contenders.
The Top 10 of Billboard’s Top 200 Albums:
1. Susan Boyle, The Gift *new* *1 week*
2. Taylor Swift, Speak Now
3. Kid Cudi, Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager *new*
4. Various, NOW That’s What I Call Music 36 *new*
5. Bon Jovi, Greatest Hits *new*
6. Jason Aldean, My Kinda Party
7. Reba McEntire, All The Women Than I Am *new*
8. Sugarland, The Incredible Machine
9. Cee Lo Green, The Lady Killer *new*
10. Lil Wayne, I Am Not A Human Being